Thursday, January 15, 2009

Bloat

Lucy likes to eat very very fast. Is Bloat a concern? Do I (we) need to get her a "eat slow dog food bowl"?
-Jason

4 comments:

  1. I'm raising 3MO Tucker, and I assume Lucy is several months older? Tucker also inhales all his food in about 10 seconds! I have a ball that I can put his entire meal into, and he has to roll it around to make the kibbles fall out. He still swallows them whole, but at least it's only a few at a time instead of a whole mouthful! Then he's worn out and ready for a nap (maybe). Anyways, it works for a puppy, but I'm sure an older dog would love it, too. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an idea, I'll try that. Lucy is 6 months old now. She finishes eating before my other 3 dogs get started.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can make your own "slow eating" dish with 2 or 3 fist-sized rocks that are well cleaned off. Ahem...make sure the rocks are too big to be eaten.

    A large dish sometimes helps, too--kibble only one layer deep across the bottom is harder to gulp.

    Water on the food is helpful.

    Nobody knows for sure what all the factors in bloat are, but my primary concern is always to make sure a dog is settled down before a meal, and quiet for an hour or two afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, all great ideas. I'll try them and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is to remain friendly and appropriate for reading by families with children. Violators will be immediately and permanently banned.