
It's amazing how quickly my daughter with autism and developmental delay has become best friends with Milliken! He's teaching her so much. As soon as she gets home from SOAR, which is a school for kids with special needs, she wants to see "the pup peeee" as she calls him. He comforts her and encourages her when she's bathing or using the bathroom, and since she is still learning to go potty, he encourages her to try just by his mere presence...and he's not even fully trained, yet! Milliken seems to be in tune with her needs. If he's with me and hears her yell or cry, he'll run to her to comfort her. We are fostering Milliken as a puppy, and love having him in our home. He's going to make a special child a great service dog one day. I see so much potential in him.
My husband and I went to PETCO last night to look for a Samsa bed for Milliken, but, they didn't have any. We've got several commands for Milliken that we're working on..namely, "Place" (hence the need for the bed), "Here", which he's doing GREAT at, "let's go" (walking on a leash-still kinda not doing too well on that one-he's stubborn sometimes!) I'm glad that we're learning a few commands at a time at puppy class. I think that's good not only for me but for Milliken, too.
By the way, did I mention how much we love Milliken? Dogs for Autism is such a blessing to the community. There's such a need for this program, and I'd like to thank the volunteers and all of the people involved with Dogs for Autism, especially Julie Nye. Thank you!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment
This blog is to remain friendly and appropriate for reading by families with children. Violators will be immediately and permanently banned.