Saturday, January 31, 2009

Marshall on Main Street

Marshall had a busy week! Because of his adventurous soul at home, I was permitted to bring him to work and crate in the car while the weather holds out. He came with me to my work downtown from Wednesday through Friday. I park on the 4th floor of a parking garage so he is secure from the street. This was the first time Marshall was introduced to stairs...big scary stairs. The first day, adorned with prong collar, he was refusing the stairs. A little pop and a scream got him started...right into the sights of the security guard! Not to worry, I work for the owner of the building and the security guard had met Marshall on a previous occasion when I brought him to work and kept him in the car for the afternoon on class day. But out of respect and not having Marshall's uniform, I don't want to exceed my privileges of "no animals in the building." Marshall and the security guard are now good friends. Instead of slinking throught the lobby to get back to the stairs, a little wave to the guard gets us in the back door.

On our way down four flights of stairs with lots of encouragement and treats. On Marshall's second break of the day a few hours later, stairs were no longer of concern. With instructions on prong collar use, several coworkers helped give Marshall breaks throughout the day. On my lunch hours, I would walk Marshall up Main Street and around the block...lot's of comments. I can't wait for him to get his uniform.

Also, hopefully these daily excursions have helped his car sickness. I noticed he immediately lays down curls up and settles in once he gets in the crate in the car. I no longer notice any little drools of stress. Tomorrow we go to Charlotte, so that will be a good test. But just to be cautions--no breakfast until we arrive!

I may have thought of a way to layer some babygates to keep him confined, but also feel that little weekly excursions to downtown may still be in the cards. He gets more attention and interaction during his daily "breaks" than he would at home. Now at least I know he can have some variety and a little more safe excitement in his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is to remain friendly and appropriate for reading by families with children. Violators will be immediately and permanently banned.