In addition to working on "back" as we were taught in class, this week I introduced Marshall to "stand." He stays pretty well on sits and plotz so I am asking him to stay while standing. He broke a few times, but I was able to walk slow circles around him. If he moved, I put him back and started over.
Tonight, I was also amazed at something. Marshall got his new vest/cape. Typically when we take a walk after work, I have Marshall and my other dog walking at the same time. Our goal on these walks is more for exercise than for training...although a loose leash is required.
Tonight, I wanted to see how Marshall would adapt to his new uniform. So he wore it during our after work walk. Usually the dogs walk side by side, not pulling, but out in front of me. Tonight, with his vest on, Marshall responded greatly to my "easy" and walked very much at my side...even with my own dog out front leading the way.
We walked through what I call the gauntlet--a narrow path between two fenced yards with barking dogs. Marshall showed an interest with perky ears and tilted head, but was easily brought back to my side. Then we practiced plotz/stay in the cul-de-sac with the other dogs still barking. After not very long, Marshall rested his head on his paw as if he expected to stay down for a while.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
This blog is to remain friendly and appropriate for reading by families with children. Violators will be immediately and permanently banned.