Saturday, March 28, 2009

Marshall Update

It's been a little while since you've heard from Marshall, so time for a little update.

I've been hearing a lot from this little guy! We're working through what seems to be a barking phase. Through the tips of the trainers, I hope I can say we're making progress. But I must say that in the past few days, I've actually been "listening" to him, and asking myself WHY is he barking? I've noticed that he is barking sometimes to sass me, so I know how to deal with that. Othertimes, I've learned that he's trying to tell me something. Then I remembered that part of his job will be to Alert. So, I am learning to process WHAT he is trying to communicate. As a novice puppy raiser, I wish I would learn as quickly as Marshall.

One example: The other night when it was time for bed, he wouldn't settle in his crate and he was barking. I got up to see what was up. There was a toy beside the bed. I put it in his crate. He didn't play with the toy, but immediately went to sleep. Do you suppose he was telling me the toy was out of place? Interesting to think about, so I continue to watch and learn to listen and respond with encouragement or correction, as the situation deems appropriate.

Also, this little guy can find things I never knew were lost. Just this morning, a ball that made it's way beside the dryer, behind a closed door. Marshall was scratching at the floor by the door. So I thought to investigate. There was the ball beside the dryer. (I did laundry two days ago and I always keep the doors closed!)

I can't wait for the rain to stop so I can utilize the tips on the searching game that Julie gave me. Not only will it stretch his little brain, but I will be able to mold his potential....and burn off some energy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is to remain friendly and appropriate for reading by families with children. Violators will be immediately and permanently banned.