Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Technical failure or brain failure?

Well, Day 4 of waiting arrived. There has been much head-scratching and contemplation at Camp Julie. Dogs simply do not wait this long after a temperature drop to have their pups. I've been confused, frustrated, worried, all kinds of fun things. Finally this evening, the little man at the controls of my brain stepped out front and smacked me in the face to get my attention. "Hey, idiot!," he yelled. "Change the battery in the digital thermometer!" I did. Jazzy's temperature is now showing as 2/10ths of a point below normal. Is it going up or down? Of course, I cannot know. Ask me again in the morning. This scenario is undoubtedly part of the reason nobody ever suggested I attend veterinary school. Why a digital thermometer? Well, in the interests of generic readership, we won't go there. The short version is this: I absolutely dare you to try taking a dog's temp 4-5 times a day with a 3-minute thermometer when said dog cannot stand up for three full minutes.

From the outside, puppies appear to be having a grand old time. Spread over an area approximately the span of a beach ball, the kicks and thumps and thrashing look like rugby practice. Poor Jazzy. She definitely does not appear to be having a grand old time. But she sure is hungry. Unfortunately she can eat about five bites at a time, as the puppies are taking up all the available room.

Hopefully I'll have more details to share in the morning!

Julie & Jazzy (who can't figure out why everybody is constantly staring at her)

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is to remain friendly and appropriate for reading by families with children. Violators will be immediately and permanently banned.