Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Forget pictures. I need a nap.

2 comments:

  1. Marshall has been in my home a month today, I believe. His first month has been very busy being exposed to the little world in our yard and neighborhood: kids, rc cars, cats, dogs on the other side of the fence, leaves--lots of leaves!

    His favorite spot is on a little box in the kitchen that we have named "place." I think he selected it because it's near the treat jar. Nevertheless, I use that "desire" to my advantage. He sits on the box while I cook. And I have used that little box to help overcome his fear of the monster broom! I figured I would give him something else to think about -- stay -- rather than think about the broom. Next, challenge is to slay the monster mop!

    Off to work--Marshall is very atuned to his schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to share something Marshall taught this rookie puppy raiser about baby gates...

    Since I work during the day, Marshall's "room" is a small bathroom blocked with a baby gate. Last week, I came home to find that he had crawled up and out of his "den." Thankfully, he was a good boy and left very few "gifts" from his adventurous day. I consulted the expert and was given advise on how to re-train this important barrier.

    After about 4 days of re-training, I did a short test during church. I came home in 2 hours and he was still in his room. I took the chance on Monday that he would again stay in his room--Good boy was where I put him in the morning when I came home from work. Again on day 3 he was found in his room after I returned after 3 hours. Hopefully he will continue to stay put, but I know he won't be little for long.

    Looking back, what I suspect that I learned what only experience can teach you.. is NEVER pick up a puppy to put him in and take him out. My guess is that in doing so, I taught him that the way out was up!

    Sure, he might have figured it out eventually, but I think I helped him get there earlier than he should.

    Now we're working on the doggie door so when he gets bigger he can graduate to the kitchen. He's working the doggie door in and out, but he hasn't yet figured out "why." So, school continues...

    ReplyDelete

This blog is to remain friendly and appropriate for reading by families with children. Violators will be immediately and permanently banned.