Monday, October 19, 2009

Marshall and Mower Mania

Marshall has some serious issues with the lawn mower. I wish I could get in his little mind to understand what he thinks it is. I haven't mowed much this year so haven't had a strong chance to get Marshall desensitized, but as a young pup, he could have cared less. So something in his perception changed some where along the way.

The only solution I have found to excessive barking and trying to attack the mower is to put him on a leash and let him walk beside me. It is interesting that he walks calmly at my side back and forth while I mow. But if I have to stop for some reason, when I restart the mower he starts barking and getting all crazy. As soon as I tell him heel and start forward he stops.

Is it the restraint or does he have some other perspective? It is a herding thing? that by walking behind it he feels like he is controlling its direction? I don't have an answer but it is an interesting study in behavior.

2 comments:

  1. They say that during the teenage stage which the M's and N's are in, dogs develop weird phobias. For example, my 3 year old boxer decided at about 1 year old that he didn't like a particular floor lamp which had been in the house since before he was even born. His reaction included non-stop barking as if it would go away. Eventually, he got over himself. Who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it has something to do with "me." He could care less about anyone else mowing the law. We can walk the neighborhood and pass lawnmowers approaching the curb and he doesn't even flinch.

    So, I do think it is something he thinks he needs to 'manage' since walking behind it with me is no problem.

    Very interesting, for sure.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is to remain friendly and appropriate for reading by families with children. Violators will be immediately and permanently banned.